Lemon and Garlic Pasta with Pan-Seared Scallops
For a delicious and quick meal, this pasta and scallops dish will hit the spot. Ready in about 20 minutes (10 minutes of prep time, 10 minutes of cook time), this meal is healthy and fast!
- 1 large lemon, grated for zest and squeezed for 2 Tbsp lemon juice
- 1 Tbsp garlic, minced or pressed (about 2-3 cloves)
- 2 Tbsp olive oil, divided into 2- 1 Tbsp portions
- 16 large sea scallops (about 1 lb)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/8 tsp ground black pepper
- 8 oz very thin spaghetti (vermicelli or angel hair)
- 2 Tbsp shredded parmesan cheese
- In a 4 quart saucepan, bring 2 quarts of water to a boil over high heat. When water boils, reduce heat to simmer until ready to cook pasta (step 5).
- While water is heating up, use grater to take off small peels of the skin of the lemon into a small saucepan. Cut the lemon in half and squeeze juice into the pan (remove seeds). Use the back of a large spoon to press the inside of the lemon to extract more juice. Add garlic and 1 Tbsp of olive oil to saucepan. Stir to blend well. Place on stovetop on low heat.
- Heat large nonstick pan or grill pan on high heat until very hot. Sprinkle scallops with salt, pepper, and 1 Tbsp of olive oil. Toss to coat well.
- Place scallops in hot pan. Cook about 4 minutes on each side or until scallops are well browned and firm and milky white to the center (minimum internal temperature of 145°F).
- After turning scallops to second side, drop pasta into boiling water. Set temperature on medium, and cook for 2 minutes or shortest recommended time according to package directions.
- When pasta is done, set aside ½ cup of cooking water. Drain pasta. Return drained passed to pot and toss with warm olive oil mixture and reserved cooking water.
- Divide past equally among four plates and top with four scallops each.
- Garnish with ½ Tbsp of shredded parmesan cheese. Serve immediately.
Per serving: 376 calories; 9 g fat (2 g sat); 48 mg cholesterol; 43 g carbohydrates; 28 g protein; 2 g fiber; 429 mg sodium; 426 mg potassium.