Blackened Salmon Sandwich
Blackened salmon is great in a sandwich with a spread of mashed avocado and low-fat mayonnaise plus peppery arugula leaves, cool tomato slices and zesty red onion. We grill our Cajun-style salmon so there is no need for any added cooking oil. Catfish makes an excellent stand-in for the salmon but you’ll want to use a grill basket if you have one to keep the fish from breaking apart.
- 1 pound wild salmon fillet, skinned and cut into 4 portions
- 2 tsp blackening or Cajun seasoning
- 1 small avocado, pitted
- 2 Tbsp low-fat mayonnaise
- 4 crusty whole-wheat rolls, split and toasted
- 1 cup arugula
- 2 plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
- ½ cup thinly sliced red onion
- Oil grill rack (see Tip); preheat grill to high.
- Rub salmon on both sides with blackening (or Cajun) seasoning. Grill until cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes per side.
- Mash avocado and mayonnaise in a small bowl.
- To assemble sandwiches, spread some of the avocado mixture on each roll and top with salmon, arugula, tomato and onion.
Tips & Notes
- Ingredient note: Wild-caught salmon from the Pacific (Alaska, California, Washington and Oregon) is considered the best choice for the environment. For more information, visit Monterey Bay Aquarium Seafood Watch (mbayaq.org/cr/seafoodwatch.asp).
- Tips: To skin a salmon fillet, place salmon on a clean cutting board, skin side down. Starting at the tail end, slip the blade of a long, sharp knife between the fish flesh and the skin, holding the skin down firmly with your other hand. Gently push the blade along at a 30° angle, separating the fillet from the skin without cutting through either.
- To oil a grill rack, oil a folded paper towel, hold it with tongs and rub it over the rack. (Do not use cooking spray on a hot grill.) When grilling delicate foods like tofu and fish, it is helpful to spray the food with cooking spray.
- Per serving: 404 calories; 14 g fat (3 g sat, 6 g mono); 53 mg cholesterol; 43 g carbohydrates; 31 g protein; 6 g fiber; 748 mg sodium; 775 mg potassium.
- Nutrition Bonus: Fiber (24% daily value), Potassium (22% dv), Vitamin C (18% dv), Folate (15% dv), good source of omega-3s.
- Carbohydrate Servings: 2 1/2