Chicken Tacos with Salsa Verde
These tacos are bursting with bold flavors. Remove the seeds and membrane of the jalapeño if your family prefers a milder flavor, or just omit the jalapeño. Queso fresco is a mild, crumbly Mexican cheese that can be found in many major supermarkets. If you can’t find it, feta is a good substitute.
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp salt
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 3 lb boneless, skinless chicken thighs (about 12 thighs)
- 1 ½ Tbsp canola oil, divided
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 large carrot, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium jalapeno, sliced into thin rings (optional)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 ½ cups salsa verde (green tomatillo salsa), divided
- ½ cup fat-free, reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 24 (6-in) corn tortillas
- ½ cup crumbled queso fresco cheese
- ¼ cup fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 limes, cut into wedges (optional)
- In a small bowl, combine cumin, salt and pepper. Rub mixture evenly over chicken thighs. Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add half of chicken; cook 3 minutes per side or until browned. Transfer to a 5-or 6-quart slow cooker. Repeat procedure with remaining chicken.
- Heat remaining ½ tablespoon oil in pan over medium heat. Add onion, celery, carrot, jalapeño and garlic; cook, stirring frequently, 5 to 7 minutes or until vegetables are tender and begin to brown. Transfer to slow cooker. Add 2 cups salsa and broth. Cover and cook on low 4 to 6 hours or until chicken shreds easily with a fork.
- Remove chicken to a large bowl using a slotted spoon; shred with 2 forks.
- Warm tortillas according to package instructions. Fill each tortilla with about ¼ cup chicken mixture, 1 teaspoon cheese, 1 teaspoon salsa and ½ teaspoon cilantro. Serve with lime wedges if desired.
- Amount per serving (2 tacos)
- Calories 340
- Fat 14 g
- Saturated fat 3 g
- Protein 24 g
- Carbohydrates 30 g
- Fiber 4 g
- Cholesterol 80 mg
- Sodium 620 mg
- WW Points Plus® 9
*PointsPlus value is provided for informational purposes only. This is not an official Weight Watchers endorsement, sponsorship or approval. Weight Watchers® and PointsPlus® registered trademarks.